Monday, December 24, 2007

Gossip Tweens Girl's is very popular

Apparently the biggest following for the new series Gossip Girl isn't the CW network's target audience of 18- to 34-year old women...it's 12- to 17-year-old girls.

According to Media Life Magazine, Gossip Girl "was the top-rated new show among teens 12-17..."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to know that the show is attracting positive attention, because that makes it all the more likely that the show will be picked up for a second season. But I'm surprised that it's not more popular with people my age (in the 18 to 34 age range). This show is so juicy, and has a lot of adult themes, so why isn't it attracting a more mature crowd?

That being said, I definitely understand why so many young teens would be attracted to it: it's very glamorous, the plot is always thick with emotion (which girls that age are brimming with!), and because it's about adult themes, it feels sophisticated and grown-up to watch. But it now scares me to recall that incredibly explicit (for TV, at least) sex scene from the premiere episode...I can't imagine a young girl watching that!

I wonder if this revelation as far as exactly who is watching will affect the show's writing and/or the show's sex and drug-use themes...

Author: By Elizabeth Wharton

No comments: